Hillforest, overlooking the Ohio River, was the home of industrialist and financier Thomas Gaff and his family between 1855 and 1891. Shipping and riverboats were significant elements of the Gaff business and are reflected in the architecture of the home. Note the third floor belvedere resembling a pilot house. The style is Italian Renaissance, completely symmetrical and characterized by broad overhangs, ornately carved brackets, arched windows and graceful balconies and porches. Hillforest is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1992.
WEATHER RELATED CLOSING OF HILLFOREST IF NECESSARY WILL BE POSTED ON WCPO.COM, EAGLE99.3, AND HILLFOREST'S FACEBOOK PAGE.
In 2007 Martin and Maribeth Rahe of Cincinnati donated to Hillforest Historical Foundation the historic log house.